Live to Teach
Live To Teach
When I first began student teaching, I felt so many emotions. I was so
excited, nervous and, ready for an exciting chapter in my life. Teaching
is not at all what I thought it was going to be. It is so much MORE!
Everyday I walk into my class and have 17 tiny little faces looking at
me eager to learn and begin the day. It is by far the most rewarding
thing I have ever done. This is my first year but the first of many. I
am placed in Kindergarten right now, but can easily see myself fitting
into many other grades as well.
Each and every day, teaching is a challenge. Teachers have
content to teach, language barriers to address, and a diverse group of
students at different stages of development to teach. They also deal
with diverse family issues and occasionally have students who need an
emotional boost. On one particular morning one of my female students
came in late. It was obvious she had not had a very good morning. She
was still sad when her dad left and I took her hand to bring her in
the room. We talked for a short period of time and she calmed down. I
sent her to her seat and the rest of the day went relatively well. That
morning she just needed a second chance to start her day. This student
who was so nervous to begin school those first couple of weeks, now
impresses me every single day.
The most awesome connection I have seen this year was during a small group remediation lesson on sequencing. One of my students was understanding beginning middle and end. He was having trouble when more pictures and more steps were added. I decided to compare sequencing to the alphabet, which they knew. I had them practice by having them replace some of the letters I had removed. I reminded them each time that they were correct if their letters were in the order that they would say their ABC’s. All of a sudden one little boy looked at me and smiled and said, “Oh.” I almost laughed out loud. We then practiced sequencing four and five items/pictures that went with a story from the previous day. This little boy really shined that day. Maybe he just needed a little more time and practice to build his confidence.
Ways to build student relationships
Here are some amazing things I currently use in my classroom or plan to incorporate!
1. Greet students at the door. Smile and call them by name. Tell them you are glad to see them. -This is so important, many if not every student looks forward to being greeted each and everyday. This is the way I begin my day as a teacher.
2. Ask your students to share three things about themselves. Let them choose what they share. Keep them on index cards to help make connections throughout the year. - I love getting to know each and everyone of my students. It is very important for students to know you care and take interest in what is important to them.
5. Make positive phone calls home especially within the first two weeks of the school year.- As a student teacher, I was not able to make phone calls home but I was able to send positive notes in students folders. Both the student and parents appreciate this.
24. At the end of a term or year, write a thank you to students telling them what you have learned from them. Be specific and honest - authenticity goes a long way. Try to make the note handwritten if possible, but email works well too.- Just as I teach students, they to teach me. It is important to give credit to all of those whom you learn from.
68. Make time for dismissal. Tell them you can’t wait to see them tomorrow and share high fives on the way out!- Telling your kids goodbye is just as important as telling them good morning. It is the quickest way to let a child know you care and are proud of them.
72. My favorite question to ask my students or any student I come in contact with is what are you into lately? This opens communication with your students and let's them know you are interested.- I find this very helpful when doing guided reading groups. Students are more likely to love reading when it involves something of interest.
Comments
Post a Comment